Randy Mootooveran
Worldbuilding
November 28, 2017
Reaction to Down and Out

I see this as a guide for advertising your product and covering the tenants of what makes it yours to begin with. The first part of the text was very reminiscent of commercials I used to watch on TV when I was younger. I imagine anyone doing creative works would want to know if their piece was a collective effort, a derivative piece, ot an original that has the proper Copyright. Personally, I think having elements of all three is the key to finding success with a broad audience. People always say they want something new, but they also want something grounded in familiarity that tempts them to be led into something original.

I connected with the first trip to Disney World. I can imagine it must be strange for an adult seeing the place (I was three the last time I was there). In a perfect world, something like Disney World must be like a joke to them. It's undoubtedly a great place, a place where children and adults can escape reality for a short time and experience a flawless world. In reality, it's just a fancy theme park populated by workers harboring the illusion of a perfect world. If it weren't for them, anyone can see that it's just one enormous ride; a linear progression through beautiful set dressing that hooks you because everyone else is content with perpetuating its hollow image.

I'm already a big fan of science fiction, so I would say fantasy is the next best adaptation for this story. Most people view fantasy as an excuse for magic, dragons, and how primordial humans survived before the dawn of machines, but I think it has a strength that it doesn't get enough credit for. I find ruins in fantasy worlds to be some of the most interesting parts. Most fantasy worlds use familiar looking cultures and areas for the audience to have some ground to stand on before it leads you in, but ruined civilizations that populate those worlds hold numerous oppurtunities for depth and commentary. While science fiction worlds often focus on hypothetical utopias and dystopias, fantasy is the beginning of something that progresses into one or the other. Ancient societies in ruin are a great chance for studying why they failed and how things have changed since their downfall.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog